Saturday, April 25, 2009

A New Skill...

A cathedral windows quilt has been on my list for ages. So, one of my friends and fellow guild members, Ellen, decided to teach us this last Wednesday night. Earlier in the year she gave me the amounts needed for a twin size quilt...so off I went to the fabric store. Ended up buying a bleached muslin - not the beige colored - but white. 33 yards of white bleached muslin!

The above is the beginning of my first 4-square block. First of all, I created the little pillows (as they are called) - then sewed two together. Since we were only there for two-and-a-half hours she showed us how to to insert our first little window. I will now sew the four blocks together and add more windows. All of my windows will be batiks!

It is all hand sewing - and I LOVE it! It is so relaxing! Am looking forward to having this as my carry around project until it is finished. No rush...just an enjoyable project.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger LINDA BYLSMA said...

That is just plain GORGEOUS!!! What a project to take on. 33 yards? Are you making a tent? I admire your ambition.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

So gorgeous! Love that design and the white really brings out the color. I'm hoping to try some quilting, I just purchased a darning foot to try some stippling. Is muslin usually the best choice of fabric for the main portion of the quilt if I need a white fabric to off set my color pieces? (Hope that made sense, not a quilter, I'm sure that was obviuos!)

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Paul said...

The batiks are going to make a gorgeous quilt! I love catherdral windows - can't wait to see your finished work!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Barb said...

That is totally awesome. I tried the Cathedral windows a few years back and just couldn't get the hand of it but it looks like this is a different technique. Can you tutor us?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh Sara, that's so pretty. Looks quite complicated so I'm really glad you know what you're doing :)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Pat said...

This is going to be a LOVELY quilt when it's done.....it sure is an AMBITIOUS undertaking!!! I was taught a "quickie" imitation Cathedral window awhile back, but I didn't really like it as much as the look that comes from the REAL one. Was this technique difficult?

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Terri said...

oh how I have wanted to learn this, how beautiful

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger NancyJeanne said...

What size square is in the "window"?? I have always loved this pattern and have attempted it several times. I does take lots of muslin. You may have inspired me to try again. Can't wait to see how it goes for you.

Nancy (from Pins and Needles)

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Erica said...

It's going to be beautiful! Wow! I love cathedral windows but I'm lacking the patience. Can't wait to see more as it develops!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh that is SO COOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home